Saturday, October 15, 2005

What people ask me

Here I am on my first overnighter at the farm fixing breakfast very early in the morning; note pressure lamp, wood stove with camp stove on top, old lady getting her bread ready to toast looking stylish in her black go anywhere sweats.

Here are the questions I have been asked concerning the farm so far.
How are you going to live without electricity?
How are you going to keep your food cold?
You don't have indoor plumbing?
How will you keep in touch with people?
What do you use for light?
What kind of animals will you have; would you eat them?
What will you grow in your garden?
How will you keep the food you grow if you don't have refrigeration?
Won't you get lonely?
Can you cook on a wood stove?
How far is it to a grocery store, big town, doctor, hospital, ect.
That is a lot of acres how will you be able to do the all the work?
How will you be able to use a computer there?

I think that this era is far removed from basic living. They depend far to much on technology and convienences so solve their routine life problems. Most of the world would envy the above picture. Having a fine stove(s) to cook with, ample light, abundant food and clean water to drink in obviously large suroundings. Everything is relative I guess. The questions have made me think how different my life experiences have been than the generations that follow me.

I look forward to lighting my oil lamps in the evening and hearing the crack and pop of a wood fire in the stove with the smell of wood burning in the air, the tea kettle whistling and steaming the air that is heavily scented with dinner cooking on the black stove. I would make a pot of tea and take it to my favorite rocking chair to have a sit and sip while waiting for supper to be done. Maybe if I am curious I will listen to the radio for the news or better yet not listen to it and enjoy the moment and give a small silent prayer of thanks to be here and able to enjoy the moment.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

And I am very jealous of your new life but am very happy too because you are one of few people that can actually love that wonderful life thats waiting for you!! hugs my friend

OLD CROW FARM said...

I loved reading about your "new life"!!! We too live on a farm here in Ks. and if there is one thing you will learn...Life will never be dull! Hugs to you my friend! Sher