Saturday, June 16, 2007

Good thing I live off the road




The other night I was wakened by the chickens in the big hen house squawking at three am. I got up got my headlight on and my rifle and in my night shirt and barefoot I dashed out to the Hen House ready to kill any varmint trying to do harm to my chickens. I opened the door to the coop and saw feathers on the floor I then pointed my light around the inside of the coop and counted chickens they were all there and no varmint! I must have been quite a sight with a battery powered headlight strapped to my forehead, rifle at the ready dressed in my pink night shirt and bare feet! Oh ya I would have struck terror in anything out there. I think the chickens were in a state of disbelief that this obviously insane person invading their house at that awful hour. I live off the main road and it was a dark night, thank goodness. I don't usually show off my night dress to the public, I wouldn't want to scare folks driving by and have an accident :)

The drought goes on, still hand watering the garden and trees, looks like a long, hot, dry, Summer this year. Some folks have taken to hauling water to their cows already as the streams are drying up and the ponds are getting low.

It is hard to see neighbors worrying about their stock and livelihood, sometimes life can be cruel.
I'll keep on watering and hoping for rain. I guess I will get back to painting the porches; there is always something to do around here at least it keeps me from running a muck on the roads and frightening the horses :)

1 comment:

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Kay, I admire the life you lead... and am inspired.

Check out a new forum called Women Who Farm.... you might like it!

http://womenwhofarm.proboards78.com/index.cgi?