Monday, July 16, 2007

Tractors, Masked Robbers and Nails





























Well, things have been going on a pace here at the farm. I got to use the tractor a bit. I moved a large piece of culvert down to the creek, the culvert will make a bridge for the tractor to go over after a load of gravel has been dumped on it. This 'bridge' will let the tractor into the hay field easier and the hay wagons may find it smoother to get to and from the hayfield.

The raccoons got into the corn last week and were having a feast. I figured I better get some corn while I can before it is all ruined by the darn raccoons. I picked about a bushel and a half of sweet corn and cut the kernels off, then froze it so there will be some nice corn for this winter.
The suspect raccoons are getting into the corn patch at night and having meal for themselves. There is always someone horning in on a good thing.

About a week ago I was busy putting up the stock for the night and in the darkened barn I stepped on a nail. The nail went almost through my left foot. I washed it and soaked it, then thought I better get a tetanus shot so I went to the ER. I got the shot after waiting an hour or two, but the ER Doc didn't want to prescribe antibiotics at that time. A week later I have an infection in my foot and went to the local clinic and they prescribed an antibiotic that should knock the infection down. If it doesn't work I guess I am in trouble. I should know in a few days if it is working or not. I sure hope the medication works.

Nice and humid here we have had some lightening and threats of storms just not much rain, we keep hoping that the rain will come maybe later this week.

3 comments:

Michael Dickson said...

Ah, tractor, schmactor, why didn´t you just heave that culvert on your back and walk it down there? Would have been good exercise.

Watch out for those nails. The antibiotic should do the trick. Buena suerte.

Julia said...

I sure hope the antibiotic works, Michael. If not I could have a serious problem.
As for lifting that culvert ...don't think so, besides it was way more fun using the tractor. :)

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your culvert seems nicely sling. Try to carry the bucket as low as possible. It is safer and more stable.

Farms are full of hazhards. I trust your foot will heal soon. Proper work boots, hot and heavy as they may seem, save foot and ankle injuries.

My garden is a failure this year. I have no racoons but colorado potato beetles and voles do a lot of damage.

I will be visiting the farmers market for fresh goodies. The corn looks good.