Saturday, December 24, 2005

What is essential??


I have been reading in the news about how many people feel that you need to be connected with technology these days. How odd that I am stepping back from all this ipod, tivo, cable tv and living without electricity. I am living without the flush toilet also. Am I in my own "survivor program"?

No, I don't think so, I am taking the farm just as it is and will put my own mark on it. I have found that I have become to obsessed with the internet. As a tool it is useful, but a lot of time is wasted looking at none essential things and just wasting time. As a communication tool email is very useful and as a research tool the computer does make the world more accessible. The problem is that I use it and then don't stop and do something else; you find more and more things to look up and it just keeps on going like the energizer bunny, going and going. The next thing I know the room is dark and hours have past. I will be restricted for a while, using the computer at the library to catch up on my mail and shopping etc.

I will have a telephone, as an emergency communications device, and to stay in touch with family and friends. One day I may have a solar power source to run the lap top computer; just not pleased with the looks of those photovoltic panels. I am sure I will get over that and get something to power the computer.

On this farm there will be lots to do, as on any farm, wood needs to be stacked, chopped and carried inside, animals fed and cared for, gardening, repairs to the house and fences, finnishing off the upstairs bedrooms, daily chores (cooking,cleaning,washing), seasonal chores (planting,harvesting,canning,birthing,haying) I must not forget egg gathering and milking :)
That is just the essentials; oops forgot taking a nap and reading the latest bestseller playing with the pets, daydreaming and trying to remember what it was I went into the room for (?).

Oh, ya, I was talking about the things that are essential. Food, water, and shelter are essential; I will learn what else is essential as I go along.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I know what you mean about the computer. It got me hooked so I have limited myself to checking email in the mornings and in late afternoon or evening when work is done for the day or am resting before I start an evening project I will post on my blog and catch up on some of my favorites. That way I am only online an hour a day so don't feel quilty. Hope you find a way to stay online as I love reading your posts... Have a blessed wonderful New Year!

Julia said...

Peggy;
I am going to have a problem there getting on the web until I work out a system to power the computer and use what ever means to connect with the internet provider. It may take a while to sort things out. Until then I will use the library once in a while to stay in touch.
Kay