Sunday, October 15, 2006

Quiet Sunday


This has been a lovely quiet Sunday. The chickens are out hunting bugs and such like good chickens should, the goats are out and munching on brush and weeds like good goats should, the dogs are out keeping an eye on everything just like they should. Just a peaceful day here on the farm. We had a killing frost for the past couple of days and that did in the gourd vines so what we have harvested is what we will use for bird houses this coming spring. Now the gourds are behind the stove drying until spring and I cut, clean and paint them to be bird houses for the Purple Martins that will be flying our way and hopefully picking our birdhouses to nest in and rare their off spring.

I got some fresh straw Saturday and feed for the chickens and goats stopped by a neighbor's house to ask about a visitor to the farm he might know of and I found out he had cut himself with a chain saw and he was trying to decide whether to go to the Doctor's office or go to the Emergency Room. When I left he was getting ready to go to the Emergency Room and get that sliced knee sewed up. I think I will call him this evening and see how he is doing.

Stopped by my neighbor's house to check on him this evening. He was up all night with pain and stayed in his recliner as the thought of moving to bed was just to painful. He had over twenty-five stitches to close the wound. He will be laid up for about a month. We talked about a lot of things besides his wound, like the cost of living, how to fix metal roofs, who does repair work in the Amish community and how to get a hold of them, and a few stories thrown in for good measure.

The picture above is that neighbor helping me lay gravel up the ramp to the hay loft.

2 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The chainsaw is a handy but dangerous tool. Where protective clothing pays off in the long run. My safety pants always ended up shreaded above the knee because of a bad habit of resting my saw against my leg before the chain stopped. Having worked as a logger I knew lots of fellows who cut themselves. Two even died from chainsaw cuts. (They were skilled tradesmen). I only once cut myself cutting through my safety boots and halfway through my big toe. My sympathy to your neighbour. he should heal quickly. Your attention and concern will be greatly appreciated.

Peggy said...

hope your neighbor is doing better. Everything looks so peaceful at your farm. You have it looking great!