Saturday, February 10, 2007

Waiting for Spring


The above photo is yours truly the ol'lady farmer carring water to the live stock because the water lines are froze in the barn, the lines have been frozen for weeks now. I just look at it as just part of the experience of living on a farm. The calves are doing well by the way and it looks as though we will be having some baby goats this spring too.


The bird feeders have had lots of business this year and the Cardinals have been feeding in flocks. Sometimes there are more than ten males and and an equal number of hens feeding at the same time. Talking of birds the chickens are doing well and still laying regular which is most unusual at this time of year, I am very surprised at their laying ability, got seven eggs yesterday from eight birds in the middle of a winter freeze-up.

Now it is just a matter of hanging on till spring which will be here in just a few weeks and then it will be time to plant the garden and tend to the new born animals. Before I know it I will be out berry picking again :)

6 comments:

Donna. W said...

Carrying water will keep you in shape!

Anonymous said...

I envy you. There is nothing better than fresh air on the farm.
How I miss those days.

Peggy said...

Our hens haven't slowed down on their laying either. We have plenty of eggs.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I ,too, have been hauling water for my animals due to a frozen waterline below ground. I forgot to cover it with enough hay. I could do without the exercise. It will be near -40C tonight so Spring seems along way off.

You have done a wonderful job with your farm. I trust you will some lovely young animals in the Spring.

Peggy said...

Hope things are going well for you. Several of us are wondering if you are okay. We miss your posts.

Julia said...

Hi Peggy;

All in all, I am doing okay had another visit to the ER two weeks ago and the DR prescribe another medication that seems to help. Now and then I feel tired and not up to much, then it passes.

Still waiting for spring just got the garden plowed waiting to get it disked so I can plant potatoes and peas. I have a few cabbage and lettuce plants in the raised boxes, so far they are looking good.

Thank you for checking on me nice to know people check up on you.

Hugs,
Kay