Saturday, March 24, 2007

The search for my farm tractor


I have begun to look for a tractor to use on the farm. I would like to keep my own fields mowed do my own plowing and disking for the garden and move manure around. Also I want to move some small logs out of the wood lot and maybe split wood with a pto driven wood splitter. The two characters above are not impressed with my goals, they just want to know when I am serving their dinner :)

I searched the local papers and haunted the local tractor dealerships for miles around without finding my tractor. I also searched EBay listings where I thought I had found my tractor and traveled 300 miles round trip to only find that the condition was not as advertised and I walked away from that deal I am sure to hear more from EBay about that deal. My search goes on for my tractor. It doesn't help that I am rather frugal (cheap) with my money.

The search goes on

6 comments:

Peggy said...

You will find it, don't give up.

Donna. W said...

My husband would love helping you look for a tractor. It's a shame we're not nearby!

Michael Dickson said...

I drove a tractor once when I was a kid. It´s fun, but I was just doing it for fun. Probably not fun doing it all day. Good luck to you.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Try to find the farm auctions. They can be a good sources of bargains. They can be a lot of fun. You may be tempted to buy thing you didn't know you just needed to have it before you went.

Cloverbell said...

Are you sure you can't find someone to pay occasionally to do the tractor work for you? We have a small farm and the cost of a tractor is high even for used and the maintenance is best left to those who know their stuff. Even a used tractor will set you back thousand$$ and if it is a cheaper deal than it comes with problems. Sorry to be a spoilsport but would hate to see you get in over your head or get hurt.

Julia said...

Cloverbell;
I am taking my time and using a local farmer as a consultant before making a deal on a tractor. I even take my consultant's opinion with a grain of salt. I am concidering my options in tractors, because getting work done on my schedule is not available here, everyone is busy doing their own work and I like being independent and like helping others when I can. I want to mow my own fields and cultivate my own garden and spread the manure like the real farmers. Although I have been accused of spreading then manure without a manure spreader on occasion :)
I shall use as much caution as I can muster in buying a tractor.