Tuesday, April 03, 2007

More goats little itty bitty ones





An interesting day to say the least. I got a bee in my bonnet about looking for a tractor and went searching for one. Found a John Deere I liked and had a neighbor go with me to look it over found out something about how to inspect an old tractor. He found that the clutch pedal was traveling way high before engaging the clutch and with the number of hours on this tractor 4700 this meant that the clutch was worn almost out and would have to be replaced $$. Also a few minor other problems like a drive wheel rim that would have to be replaced soon because it is rusted out $ and that even warm the tractor took a while to start meaning the motor was worn and would need to be rebuilt soon$$. The dealer dropped the price but I didn't buy it because I don't want to put up with the hassle of hauling a tractor to the shop for expensive repairs every few months. I am getting an education about tractors that's for sure thank goodness for helpful and experienced neighbors. I tried out a Massey Ferguson tractor just been worked on needs new tires in the front and a hydraulic outlet on the rear, ran good looks worn out though.

When arriving home we found that the little white goat had her babies, three kids two females and one male. So that makes five new goats added to the herd this week, wow what a week and it is only Tuesday :)

5 comments:

Peggy said...

You impress me everytime I stop by! Love the baby goats!

Michael Dickson said...

Tractors, being pure workhorses, are only sold when they are near dead, I would imagine. Not like cars, which often get sold for emotional reasons. I would buy a new tractor if possible.

Congrats on the babies.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Picking the right tractor, size and power and available attachment can be hard. Used tractors will be in need of repairs before long. You are often buying someone else's problem. Farm dispersal auctions may be a good source for a bargain.

Most farmers learn to do all but major repairs themselves or with the help of friends. Sending any machine to the shop is very expensive these days. Good luck on finding the right tractor.

Goats are just too cute to treat like farm production animals.

Julia said...

Yes, to all the tractor comments. I have found so far that most used tractors for sale have issues, some have been major issues, one has to proceed with caution.

New tractors are very expensive and the imported tractors are an unknown quality and they aren't cheap either. So maybe I'll will get lucky someday and get a good used tractor.

Baby goats are so cute as are most baby animals hard to think they may be dinner someday.

~Nancy~ said...

Sweet, cute goats!

Oh, and I love how you are perched upon the tractors, looking all cute yourself in your shiny gold hoop earrings!

Love it! :0)