Saturday, September 03, 2005

Buying A Stove And Meeting The Neighbors


I drove over to the farm from the Post Office. Not a long distance and the country road went past some nice farms and a few that looked a little worse for wear. I drove into the farm and hello'd the house and sure enough the lady of the house invited me in. She was busy cooking and kept right on at her task. after a while she was caught up enough to answer some questions and show me the items that were for sale.

One of the items I wanted to know about was the kitchen stove. The asking price was reasonable and she showed me the features of the stove. Now this is a wood fired cooking stove Amish style, plain, black and functional. No fancy chrome, or designs, this is get down to business cook, bake, heat, make hot water stove. Her demonstration was as basic as well; put wood here, open draft here, to bake pull this, for hot water fill this and draw water there. I had seen other stoves selling at local stores for more money and in similar style. I bought the stove.

The lady took me out side and showed me several pieces of farm equipment a hay wagon rather old and with iron wheels (well you won't get a flat tire) a horsedrawn cultivator, and very nice mower. The mower she showed me was in the barn and it was a dandy. Painted bright red it had about four reel mowers that were dragged by a horse cart and there was a lever that raised and lowered the reel mowers-this looked almost new. I couldn't come to a decision on this so I didn't get it. Sometimes I get that way-I will spend thousands for one item and in the next moment get all tense about spending what is in comparison a small amount of money. I know it doesn't make sense, but that is the way I am- about a half a bubble off as a carpenter would say.

After my visit to the farm I drove over to the neighbors place and introduced myself. His family was on a shopping trip and he was there alone. He proceeded to tell me all about the area and how he moved there,about his family, that his wife home schooled, their seven children, the youngest about six weeks old. He talked about septic systems, electricity, wells, springs, cattle, hay, home schooling, politics, sheep, etc. He also told me about the night they came over to look at the place and after a while one of his sons came in and told him "Dad it's dark outside" he replied that that usually happens at night. A little later on "Dad it's really dark outside" I' be there in a minute he replied. When "Dad" went outside he found out what his son ment. It was absolutely dark; couldn't see the barn dark. There was no moon out and the Amish don't have barn lights; the children are used to the dark now.

I told him I had to go and would come back to meet his wife later. I did returned after dinner and met his wife who is a nice lady; taking care of seven children as though it were the easiest thing in the world. I did find out the telephone number for the telephone company servicing the area. I called the telephone company later and I have been told that I can get a phone put in for less than $250. I ordered that right off before someone changes their mind. When I left my neighbor's farm I was glad they left the door open the light helped me find my truck 'cause "It was dark outside :)".

As I left the neighbors farm and drove along the road in front of my farm I could see the light from the pressure lamps glowing from the windows and I imagined how they must be sitting down to dinner or board game maybe making some popcorn and planning their trip to their new home in Pennsylvania or New York. I also imagined myself inside with my lamps aglow cooking dinner on the wood fired stove with my cats soaking up the warmth under the stove and my yellow lab shelby sleeping on the rug dreaming dog dreams. Then I would be the one making plans, drawing up lists, dreaming of things to come.

Later on after the trip home and discussing the horse equipment with others I decided to buy it all. I figure if nothing else I can loan it out to others to use and maybe get them to use it on my place. If I get a horse that is broke to driving I may be able to use the equipment myself; after some instruction of course. I would like to get a buggy and horse to run errands in. I think that would be fun when the weather is nice. It might even be fun when it isn't nice like in a light rain or a snow shower as the horse clippity clops home to our farm. (sigh)

2 comments:

Peggy said...

You have a beautiful farm and seemed to live in an area with good neighbors and friendly town! looking forward to reading more of your adventures1 You GO GIRL

Tom Scepaniak said...

I'll be hanging around here. Good blog!

Tom