Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Making Plans and researching


I am getting ready for the move to the farm. I will be saying that over and over to myself for months to come, I'm sure. I have started collecting and gathering together items to take with me on the next trip to Kentucky.

I have started a collection of buckets the 5 gallon white buckets with a handle-they have so many uses, from watering stock to using as a cap in the garden if there is a sudden frost. The buckets are good for storing feed, tools, flour, dog food, odd shaped objects, trash, "stuff for the compost pile. Speaking of the compost pile I making my own compost toilet. The Humanure book has directions for a composting toilet system using a common white plastic bucket. Of course I will have to try this out; I will let you know how it all works. I think I will convert the little house out back over to the composting system. You know that little house needs some decorating too. I'm thinking of a dutch door so one can have a view while conducting business. I think I will put in a hook for the lantern also "never liked doing business in the dark".

I have bought a camping stove that uses LP, a lantern that uses LP and LP canisters. I think I will convert a larger tank to run the stove so I won't have to change the canisters so often, the canister of LP always runs out just before the water boils or the beanie-weenies get hot. I also procured an Aladin Lamp, she's a honey and should give out the same light as a 60 watt electric lightbulb. Of course I have my collection of oil lamps they will do in a pinch.

I have been keeping the UPS driver busy delivering books to my house. I now have books on; raising chickens, sheep, goats, beef cows, composting, rural living, cooking on a wood stove, preserving food, Amish, solar power, living without electricity. There are books coming on how to keep a milk cow.

I dream of having a cow to milk and how nice it will be to have fresh milk and cream. Sure until the bugger swats me with its wet tail, steps on my foot and poops in the pail or all three things in the early dark hours in a cold barn-oh ya I have to see this ;) I can see the point of view of the cow though-here comes some old lady wearing black rubber boots an old coat and who knows what on her head carring a noisy, shinny pail in one hand and a noisy pressure lantern in the other. Oh, ya a cow's dream come true! Then this strange old lady lays her cold old hands on this cow's teats, I can see this getting real interesting.... I never did figure why we milk cows so early in the morning anyway-another of life's mysteries I may never find the answer to.

Will I have cows, sheep, horses, goats, chickens? Chickens for sure they will be the first to arrive. Then either sheep or goats; today I am leaning toward sheep (Icelandic). Then either a horse or a cow. If it is a cow I am thinking Jersey or Dexter as they are smaller and use less feed. I am thinking as far as horses go an Amish trained horse to pull a buggy and the lawnmower. Introducing a horse to the lawnmower has the potential to be very interesting, like a rodeo with the clowns!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I am so glad you posted again! I love reading about your adventures! Sounds like things are moving right along for you.

Donna. W said...

I milked Jersey cows for twenty-five years, morning and night. I'll always miss having them around, but we couldn't go anywhere and be gone for over 12 hours. I couldn't go back to being tied down like that. http://journals.aol.com/mosie1944/MYCOUNTRYLIFE