Thursday, September 15, 2005

On being a Nervous Nellie


It always comes down to money. I get so nervous spending money. I just made my first mortgage payment and I went through a period of worry. I am real good at worry, few things come easy to me but worry is EASY.

I can worry about most anything and if it has anything to do with money I can, most likely will, worry the situation till I drive myself looney. Most of the time when I do this it amounts to nothing, but you never can tell!

So, if you need to worry about something just let me know I'll show you how to do it up in style.


The horses above are not my horses. I wish they were my horses they look strong and able to pull a haywagon and mow the hayfields and pasture. They live on a farm not far from mine. The horse's pictured are named Jewel and Jed.

So, I have this horse drawn equipment, but no horses! I have a cultivator, hay wagon, haymower, and grasscutter. All I need is a horse or two or three. I have to think about this business of getting horses. First of all what horses? The two pictured here could do the job for sure. Then I was thinking of getting a buggy to run errands in like the Amish-that would require a different type of horse than the draft type pictured above. The Amish, I am told, favor the Standardbred horse; this is the same horse used at the trotting race tracks.

If I wanted horses for everything, work/pleasure, I would need to purchase three horses. A draft team and a buggy horse. I also would have to purchase a buggy. What do I know about this sort of thing? Very little, I hope my education doesn't cost to much. Like my father used to say "it costs to get an education, some people just keep on paying".

Of course I could avoid a lot of this by contracting out my hay to my neighbor and have him cut and bale for a share. Then I could get a horse that could pull the buggy, grasscutter and garden cultivator. That sounds like a good idea-I'll have to look into that.

2 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a lovely problem. "What kind of horse to buy." My favourite is the beautiful Norwegian Fjord horse. http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/ It is the smallest of the draft horses. It is an ideal horse for homesteaders.

You might consider a heritage horse that is in danger of extinction. The Canadienne horse is being restored. It was a very popular horse at one time. Very hardy and historic. It is a duel purpose horse. http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/ Homesteaders and hobby farmers could contribute much in preserving rare breeds. Good luck

Donna. W said...

I milked cows for over 20 years. You can milk cows any time you want, so long as the milkings are spaced 12 hours apart.