Monday, February 27, 2006

The Kitchen cabinets arrive

  1. I thought over the expenditure for kitchen cabinets for some time. Folks who know me know I will agonize over spending money like ..... well, let's say I do too much think'n and fret'n. I went to a local cabinet company and they came out and measured and we discussed the possibilities.

    I could have saved money and finished and installed them myself, but in the end I decided that it was better to have a pro do it instead of my doing a poor job with good materials. I think they look great. Once I down load the photos I will post them and show them off.

    Twelve feet of counter space and six drawers, four double cabinets down and two cabinets up. I think it looks like it belongs to the house. Now I have to get the water line hooked up and the drain line also. That will take some work unless I wait until the electric service gets put in so I can use power tools Until the the sink is hooked up I'll wash the dishes in the sink using plastic dishpans and catch the drips under the sink with a bucket...love them buckets. I enjoy doing the dishes now because I can look out my kitchen windows and see the fields next to my house and two farms visible from my farm.

    I am waiting for the soil sample results that I sent to the county extension office. I am sure I will have to lime the fields and maybe spread some fertilizer and seed also. Another task will be to repair/replace the fencing where needed this is requiring even more thought. I will have to decide what kind of fence and that will depend on what kind of livestock I will have. Maybe it isn't the wood stove I smell burning maybe it is my brain cells heating up...

    Okay, so there will be a horse or two, two sheep, a calf maybe a cow or dairy goats. Hmmmm, looks like I will have to go with stock fence with electric fence to back it up. The chickens will free range so I only have to repair the hen house for them. It sure will be nice to have my own fresh eggs one day.

    I have been so busy lately; I got an electrician to come out and quote me a price on getting electric put in the house. The Rural Electric Coop has had their stake engineers out to the farm twice and they have staked where the poles should go. I sure hope all this works out. I have been siding the washroom or trying to put siding on the washroom. Seems that there are no level or plumb lines and I end up redoing things and snipping here and there to make it fit. I am still wondering how I am going to get the sofit to fit..... sigh.

    Dogs love riding in the truck now more than ever, cats are sassy and on the hunt, I am on a first name basis at the building supply stores, laundramat and bank; haven't heard from the mouse lately.

5 comments:

Peggy said...

have lots on your plate but I bet you are one happy lady. Your cabinets sound perfect

Donna. W said...

If you free-range your chickens, beware of neighbor dogs during the day and possums, foxes, and racoons at night. I've had experience with all those predators, and it isn't a pretty sight what they can do.

Peggy said...

aren't you happy you have your farm.. even with the problems and work that comes with it!

Rachel said...

You are making progress! The cabinets sound great. Looking forward to the pictures.

Julia said...

Yes, I am happy! This is the life, I am feeling great and I'm looking forward to putting in my garden this year as well as finnishing some of the projects I have started.