Friday, June 23, 2006

The Fence is UP :)


The fence is up the gates are in place, a few finnishing touches are needed and a good paint job. This has been quite the project, it took a lot more than I thought it would in time and money, but it looks pretty good for what it is and for who did it.

Seven hundred feet of four board fence over eighty, eight foot long posts, six inches by four inches. If anyone were to ask me to build another board fence I think I would run and hide. It is (was) a lot of work and it still has to be painted......sigh

I got an offer from two men to help with the fence and I took them up on it - they had the right tools like a nailer gun, chain saw and air compressor. They could produce more in less time than I could with my hammer and hand saw. Did you ever try to hammer a nail into white oak? This is how it is done ... first you get the board in place and then you place the nail, pointy end toward the board and hit it with a hammer hard. Hopefully you will not hit your hand or fingers, now the nail should be a little ways into the oak. Then you hit the nail again and again until it bends. Then you cuss, swear, sweat, and try to pull out the offending nail; which of course doen't want to leave the board. Eventually after using your best bad vocabulary you get the nail out and try again, and after that nail bends you try again, usually after two or three tries you get the nail into the board and post (sort of). Then you do it again and again till you get so tired you quit for the day....

I can't wait to see what kind of trouble I get into painting the #%@**damn thing .....

No comments: