Thursday, June 08, 2006





Progress report June 06
The fence is moving closer to the barn there are only fifty-two more posts to nail boards on. Then there is the painting of the thing.

The porch on the west side of the house has been rebuilt making it safe to use across its full width and improving its looks as well as function.

The barn has been altered for goats, two pens have been made out of former tie stalls for horses. This took a lot more effort than at first estimated, working with old oak is a challange and anticipating the goats needs is hard when you have no experience with the animals. A visit to the Casey County Fair led to buying goats from a lady showing Nigerian Dwarf goats at the show. She also had two Nubian Does for sale and I bought them hoping that they will breed and I will get to milk them in the future. Oh, this I have to see myself-me milking goats that ought to be worth a chuckle or two. Even the goats will get a kick out of it :)

Things seem to take longer to do than I had planned on, I guess I don't realize just how much work there is to some projects.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

you are going to love your goats! And milking them is easy! The milk tastes the same as cow milk just doesn't have all the fat... Can't wait to see pictures of them. You sure are getting alot of work done!

Donna. W said...

Please be aware that goats are like houdini when it comes to escaping. They'll go over, under, around and through barbed wire fences. Once out, they'll eat sapling trees and kill them, and jump up on your brand new car, leaving little goatie footprints on the roof. I love goats, but you have to have darned good fence to keep them. Oh, if you leave their horns on them, they'll stick their heads through woven wire fence and be stuck there, bleating, until you help them out. Good luck!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

My partner Veronica and I love to follow your adventure in farm living. Livestock make a big difference. I know you will enjoy your goats.

For milk, we rescued a dairy cow which was being culled because it would not breed (after two tries). It gives us over four gallons a day. For now we have put off getting goats.

Your fence looks great! Electric fence is great and cheaper for many situations.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

My partner Veronica and I love to follow your adventure in farm living. Livestock make a big difference. I know you will enjoy your goats.

For milk, we rescued a dairy cow which was being culled because it would not breed (after two tries). It gives us over four gallons a day. For now we have put off getting goats.

Your fence looks great! Electric fence is great and cheaper for many situations.