Sunday, August 27, 2006

Laundry Day



Here at Oak Spring Farm we have only a few modern convienences, we don't have an automatic washer and dryer. We use a Maytag wringer washer and clothes lines to wash and dry our clothes. In case of incliment weather we can run a clothes line back and forth in laundry/washroom. The clothes come out clean and drying in the fresh air gives them a nice smell as long as the wood smoke doesn't get to them.

I thought that using the old time washer would be a lot harder on me than an automatic washer, but I found that washing clothes using the wringer washer isn't that hard just takes longer. However I have the time and would rather let the sun dry my clothes and not pay the electric co-op for the privilege of using their power.

We don't have a dishwasher or garbage disposal either the dishes are washed by hand and the garbage goes in the compost pile. We do have a vacume cleaner here and it is handy catch those dust bunnies and we have 'em as we have indoor pets. We also have indoor plumbing now and hot water by an electric hot water heater, sure is nice when you want a shower.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

love seeing your photos and reading on whats going on at Oak Spring

Donna. W said...

I used a wringer washer through the early 70's; that's all I had through my babies' diaper years. I have never had a dishwasher or garbage disposer in my life.

Julia said...

HI Peggy and Donna
Thanks for reading my blog. I have had the auto this and that and they are nice when they work, expensive when they don't work. Keep it simple and the up-keep is simple too.

@JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

I grew up with the same washer! I agree, they are not harder. There is something quite methodical and almost meditative about using them. Isn't hanging clothes outdoors just the best?