Saturday, August 05, 2006

Plumbing story part 2


















I got the drain and vent system connected. Today I got the kitchen sink drain connected to the drain and vent system and tested. It drains well, no funny noises and it drains as fast as any other drain I remmember. This is a leap forward as before the kitchen sink drained into the cellar and was piped to the drain in the floor of the cellar and emptied out in the pasture somewhere. So, now the kitchen drain goes to the spetic system where it belongs.

The toilet has been mounted on the waste pipe and bolted to the floor and the sink is in place not connected yet, but it is ready to be connected. I am leaving it unconnected for now in case I need to move it out of the way to work on the shower. The shower is connected to the drain and vent system and the wall is begun.

I think things are going to look nice once everything is completed and decorated.

August 11, 2006
Progress is slow as I had to redo some work and get more pieces and parts. I do have the walls of the shower up and I have dry fitted the fittings and pipes to operate the shower. I will start cutting into the cold water line and connecting it to the shower and sink tomorrow. The directions for installing the single lever valve where confusing and incomplete, so I just guessed at the installation procedures. There is still a lot of work to do. This project seems to go on and on, sigh.

5 comments:

Peggy said...

Yeah on the potty!! You are doing so well on your homestead. Thanks for sharing

Julia said...

Peggy;
Thanks for your comments they are appreceated.
This plumbing project is more complicated than I thought. I have learned a lot about plumbing and septic systems, I have greater respect for trades people who do this for a living.

Polly said...

How many kids can say their grandma put's in bathrooms!

You're doing fantastic!

Polly

Kati said...

I'm impressed. I'm wondering though as to what your thought are on using what I believe is called "white water" from the kitchen, shower and the like, to water gardens? vs directing it into the septic. I rent here so it's not up to me to decide, but I'm curious as my septic is about to be dug up because it's clogged with ?tree roots?

Julia said...

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. As for white water, actually it is called grey water and in some places it is recycled on plants and gardens. Some places restrict its use and homeowners cannot use it around their homes. I didn't have a septic system until lately and my grey water was piped via the cellar drain to the pasture buy the barn, no problem with it there as it seeped into the ground. Of course I didn't have a great amount of grey water at any one time so the soil could handle it.

Kay