Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lighting the stove



A couple of cold fronts moved in over Kentucky this week breaking a prolonged spell of way above average temperatures. It sure felt good to feel cool air again. Now it feels more like Autumn, just as it should be around here.

With the lower temps it was time to fire up the old kitchen wood stove. I had started a fire in it a week ago just to make sure everything worked right and that there wasn't anything stuck in the flue like a bird's nest or leaves. I have plenty of dry wood to get the fire started and it started rather easily. After getting a base of hot coals going I found it easy to keep the fire going.

The now familiar sounds of a hot stove and the smell of wood burning fill the house. I find it hard not to hang around the stove and watch and listen to the hiss, pop and crumbling wood in the fire box. I have found I am not the only one who likes to be close to the stove the big yellow lab took over the hearth rug in front of the stove and stuck her nose right under the stove, another satisfied customer.

The big kettle is steaming away and the water tank is hissing a steady tune. It seems like we are a wood fired steam engine powered house now. In a way it is like the house has come alive, the house makes sounds and has movement, there is feeling that something is going on and there is were are staying warm and ready to cook.

The wood yard is still messy but time and energy will cure that and by spring most of the wood will have been burnt in the stoves and we will be stacking wood again for the next winter.

The carpenters were back and they got two windows in upstairs and a storm door hung. This house isn't square or plumb so they had a good time getting the manufactured stuff to fit right. I have more windows on order and another storm door to they have to hang for me. I can do a lot of stuff but doors and windows are a real pain in the pah-toot so I let them with the tools and experience handle the job.

Time's a waste'n here got to get something done like chores and errands, talk with ya'll later.

10 comments:

nancyr said...

I am looking forward to starting the first fire of the season in my 100 year old cook stove. It is one of the highlights of the cooler weather season.
A tea pot with whole nutmegs, cloves and cinnamon sticks makes the house smell wonderful.
This morning, I am baking a pie from apple pie filling I canned, and making Christmas ornament gifts with pinecones, acorns and dried milk weed pods.
Trying to lead a simple life has much joy, and many rewards.
Enjoy your cool weather, your stove, and the farm that you are making more wonderful each year.

Michael Dickson said...

Ah, a new look to the blog. You need to change the color of the headlines. The white letters are almost invisible against the beige background.

Anonymous said...

Julia-I have read all your archived entries over the last few days after discovering your blog. Having lived in KY previously, in Boyle Co(and having worked with many from Casey Co even!), your stories strike close to my heart. I understand the weather, the land, the people, and the life of which your write. I will continue to read your story, understanding the sparse entries. Real farm life is busy! Good luck and stay well. -Becky

Julia said...

Nancy
Nice to hear from you the teapot idea sounds great I will have to try it. My goodness your ambitious making Christmas ornaments. The make wonderful gifts, something from the heart and hands.
Julia

Julia said...

Micheal
Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention. I corrected that so now even I can see the titles.
Julia

Julia said...

Anonymous
Thanks for comment, yes things get busy around here and some things don't get done when I would like them to, they'll get done just when is another story :)
Julia

Anonymous said...

Hello Julia, I enjoyed your post about the cool weather and loading up the wood stove sounds nice.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I recently began to lay a fire in our antique kitchen cook stove. It is so nice to hear and smell. The kitchen has a whole new focus for Winter.

We had a dusting of snow this morning. Can Winter be far behind?

Julia said...

Dear Tossing Pebbles
Winter is coming just how fast is the question. This fall has been warm even by our standards here in Kentucky. If that high pressure zone over our area ever leaves we may get back to normal. We are way behind in rain fall and the water tables are dropping, not a good sign.

Hoping for a wet winter here I tell ya!

Peggy said...

hope things are well with you