Saturday, May 24, 2008

Auction Day





Today was the day for the Auction at the farm and as I write this it is over and everyone and everything is gone. The day started off by being cloudy and looking like it might rain, not a good sign. Then as the minutes ticked by and I didn't see anyone I began to worry no one was going to come to the Auction. Sort like inviting your friends to a party and no one shows up, only this could be a disaster. Then at 9am some folks arrived and by 9:30 am the front meadow was filling with cars and trucks and folks were walking up to the house along our road. By 10am we had a nice crowd of people listening to the Auctioneer's instructions on how the sale was to proceed and the Auction began.

I listened to the bidding and was trying to figure why some things were going for cheap and why others were going for high prices and I decided to just let it all flow and not worry about it. That didn't last long when the Auctioneer got to the vehicles my nerves were strung tight and the bidding on my pick-up truck started at a hundred dollars ! Yikes, my stomach felt like lead and then the bidding warmed up and I got a nice price for the truck. The next item was my Jeep Cherokee, I got a fair price for it and then the big item the tractor with front loader was being bid on. The bidding was slow at first and then started to pick up and it brought a very nice price. After that I relaxed a bit and went with the flow, some things went for a good price some didn't, in the end I was happy with how things went and was very glad the sale was over.

Lots of folks came up to me and wished me well in my move and in a way I was surprised at how many folks knew me. I just had never thought of who or how many people I met, I guess I made a fairly good impression from the comments of the folks at the Auction. Now is when then Auctioneer and his staff tally the sale and come up with the final proceeds. I think I will be okay with it, I have to be as that is the way it is....

1 comment:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Dear Julia, I'm glad that you made it through your auction and that it seems to have gone well.

I'm going to miss your farm blog, but will follow your rv journeys on your new blog. God Bless you and keep you safe in your new venture (and I still think you should write a book about it all...this is just the latest chapter!)

Good luck ~ Cary at Serenity Farms