Saturday, May 12, 2007

Amish Auction





Another weekend and another auction. This auction is a consignment auction, folks bring their goods to sell and the auctioneer takes a percentage-in this case it benefits the Amish school. There were no motorized things like farm tractors or heavy equipment for sale. Usually there are some buggy horses for sale, not this year.

I purchased three guineas these birds are ugly, noisy and flighty. Why did I buy them? They are supposed to be good at eliminating ticks and other annoying bugs, my recollection is that they are annoying in their own right with their calls and squawks they get very excited when something or someone threatens or surprises them, they are not very intelligent birds although some folks like them as do coyotes.

The day started off cloudy and cool, I wish it had stayed that way, around 11 o'clock the Sun came out with a vengeance and I couldn't take the heat. I wanted to stay at the auction, but I was getting very tired and ill from to much Sun and heat so I took myself home and had a nap.

The Guineas are perched in the barn trying to figure out how this all happened to them, this moving from one place to another, I guess. I hope they hang around and do their job feasting on ticks.

The ducks have a little kiddie pool to play in and they seem to enjoy that, jumping into the water and splashing about ducking their heads under the water and flapping their wings.

The garden is doing as well as can be expected, we haven't had much rain and don't have any in the forecast for the next few days, so I will be watering by hand for a few days trying to keep things alive till the rains come. I bet when the rains do arrive it will be to much all at once sort of thing. What can you do, but keep trying.

That's the way it is down on the farm :)

6 comments:

Michael Dickson said...

When I first saw the photo, I thought: There are buzzards in the barn?

When will you have your Ark totally stocked? Hopefully, before the rains come.

Julia said...

(chuckle) they are some ugly birds. However they jumped right on the bugs and have been eating bugs and seeds quite cheerfully since they found their way out of the barn. If they eat their weight in ticks and bugs the will be worth having about, even if they make an awful racket calling to one another. Doesn't seem to take much have them around they find their own food and roost in the trees.

Anonymous said...

Those guineas will eat every tick and bug they can find. I've always liked having them around.

Looks like the ducks are enjoying their kiddie pool.

Julia said...

Oh yes, the ducks love their pool all the splashing and dipping goes on for hours they look and act delighted with the little pool.

Peggy said...

I have 3 guineas and they are very noisy! One I have named Chatty Cathy cause she never shuts up even in her sleep! They are good about keeping snakes away also. And you will sure know when someone comes calling.. they sound the alarm!

Julia said...

We have named the birds Manny Mo and Jack after the PEP boys although they may be girls only they know for sure :)
On their own they have decided to roost with the chickens tonight. I guess they like the idea of roosting in the hen house vs in the trees. The hens aren't grumbling so I guess all is well with them.

They still look freaky to me :/

They keep snakes away? Good! I had a snake last year that wanted to take both my dog and me on, I solved that little problem with my pistol :[